Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Alt Op #20, anybody want a kitten?

Does anyone out there want one or two cut little yellow, male kittens? PLEASE!! The little beasts are locked up in my ‘office’ so that my big dog isn’t tempted to have them for a snack by accident. They’ve torn the place up, the litter box is stinking it up and I have to come in here to write this stuff. One little boy is a very, very light yellow. More blond than yellow in fact. The other little guy is more orange than yellow and notably darker than the other. They are not brothers.

The darker one is one Peggy and I found one morning over at her place. We were heading out toward the gate for some reason and heard this pitiful yowling from under an old chair on her parents front porch. A chair that had been covered up with a tarp to keep the rain off of it. When we up ended the chair we found this terrified little orange tabby cat. I took him home to my momma cat and her two kittens. Momma Cat gave me this reproachful look for keeping Bubba away from her all this time and settled down to feed him up. The little girl my momma cat had has gone to her new home, but now I need to find homes for Bubba and Blondie. Please help me out here before one or the other tries to climb my leg again while I have shorts on! Again.

Finely broke down and paid the big bucks to get the equipment for that electric fence I’ve been wanting to put up in my back yard so I could have the goats mow for me. Now all I have to do is get it up. Might have to ask my neighbors on one side if I can feed the wire through what’s left of the fence between our yards and send it down their side of the fence. That way the goats can clean out the fence line and we can figure out what we need to do to get it repaired. Then I also wouldn’t mind talking to my neighbor on the other side to see if I couldn’t put my electric fence up inside the pasture between our two houses so that my goats could clean it out for her. It’s work that would make my goats very happy and fat.
To bad us humans can’t usually find work like that. Work that isn’t really work, just stuff we’d do on our own without being made to do it. You know, sort of like me and this odd little article I write every week. I write all the time anyway so why not! What would be great though is if I could find a way to get paid real money to do this kind of thing. As it is I get a free subscription that I have sent to my cousin Craig Wayne. He lives down south of Canton.

The only other thing I “just do” is read. To bad I can’t get paid for that either. Fact is, I have to pay to do that quite often as I’ve already read most of the kind of books I like that are in the local library, and I’ve for sure read all the books in my house (a whole other library!) at least two or three times - or more.
Of course I could get paid for writing. All I’d have to do is put a final polish on some of those stories I’ve been working on for years and send them off to a publisher but then. Sigh. Then I just might be rejected and told I can’t write as good as I think I can, no matter what my kindly and gentle friends and neighbors have told me. The thing that makes me think maybe I really can write a good story is Peggy. She has a disconcerting habit of sometimes looking me in the eye after reading something I’ve written and saying, “This is crap. Fix it. You can do better than that.”

Now is that true friendship or what. Of course there are also times when she finishes reading what I’ve written and looks up to say those words every writer longs to hear, “So what happens next?! Go finish it!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment